Monday, February 1, 2010

DC Chapter 1 - The Insatiable 3C's

I was advised to read several books as part of my development plan in handling people. It's not just to read, I have to note down the learnings by each chapter and try to apply to my two identified individuals whom I planned to apply the lessons. Tough eh...the first challenge is to try to find the time to read. The best thing about reading a newspaper is that you just read at one glance and that was it. You don't have to infer, trying to imagine, etc. Reading a book on the other hand, requires full concentration. If not, it won't stick on your head. Hence, after reading chapter 1, I have to record my completion date and try to reflect how to apply on these 2 persona. Quite tricky actually. I was advised to read at least 15 minutes a day.
 
There are 4 books which I have to cover in 6 months, they are:
  1. Dale Carnegie - How to Win Friends and Influence People
  2. Florence Littaeur - Personality Plus
  3. Allan Pease - People Skills for Life
  4. "Something Holiday" - Coaching vs. Mentoring (I seem to not be able to find a book by that author, so I replace it with a book in the Harvard Business Essentials series - Coaching and Mentoring.
To kick start the challenge, I grabbed the very famous evergreen by Mr. Dale Carnegie. I read it once, courtesy of a borrowed copy from Mr. Akmal, some years back. None of the lessons actually stick in my brain. Now I had to get it, read it and note down on how to apply all the lessons. Come to think of it, not bad....not bad at all. At least I can remember the lessons, and insya Allah will try to apply that in my daily life.
 
This is what Chapter 1 says - "If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive". Do not criticize, condemn or complain.
Lessons:
  1. It is foolish to scold people, since God has not seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.
  2. Criticism is futile because it puts a person on the defensive and usually makes him strive to justify himself. Criticism is dangerous since it wounds a person's precious pride, hurts his sense of importance and arouses resentment.
  3. Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.
  4. Instead of condemning people, let's try to understand them, why they do what they do.
4 major lessons, there you go. Now try to imagine the 2 persona's faces, and try to not condemn or criticize. Bear with them. Patience is truly a gem here.

1 comment:

akmalhizam said...

Another positive way to not do the 3 C's is to look hard at what good qualities that the other person has. As recorded in that indispensible guide, we shall always strive to give sincere compliments - and be lavish at it

However, I find myself sometimes breach this, and resort to using the damaging 3C's too. Something to be improved for me.

Nice entry, this one. If you desperately need the book, you can have it from Masitah if she's done with it.