Saturday, March 27, 2010

DC Chapter 2 - Part 3 - Darling Who?

When I was in primary school, people would try their best to pronounce my name correctly, and often ended up as  - Nordailin.
When I was in secondary school, people had started to associate the pronunciation of my name to  - Darling. And then they would giggle.
When I started work, again people had dared to straight away called me Darling.
Until now, whenever I mentioned my full name, "Oh, Darling...can easily be remembered!".
And all these associations have mostly been uttered by men.
Ladies on the other hand, would try their best to pronounce my name correctly, and often ended up I told them to call me - Lin. Easy.
 
According to Mr. Carnegie,  a name is the most sweetest and the most important sound in any language to a person.
When you meet someone new, try to remember that name and call it easily, and you have paid a subtle and a very effective compliment. Seriously, I would solute people if they can try to at least pronounce my name correctly. Very few I have found throughout my existence though (very sad case...).
If you forget or misspelt a name, you're in trouble mister! You have put yourself at a sharp disadvantage. To this, I can still recall we used to have a Director whose name ended with Phin. Unfortunately, one of the clerks had written a letter for him to sign but with spelling Pin. He was damn pissed man....he marched into our office and shouted - who wrote this letter? Don't you know that a name is very important? How can you take this lightly? I guessed no one admitted. He just shouted at everyone so that everyone could remember his anger.
 
There are tips on how to remember a person's name better.
  1. Repeat the name several times.
  2. Try to associate it with the person's features, expressions and general appearance.
I tried this last few weeks when I met my new sister-in-law with her daughters. She has 2 daughters, 1 is Shazlin and 1 is Emma. Shazlin easy to recall as I associated it with Shalin the famous Malaysian Bowler. Emma, well, she does look a little like Raja Ema, once a famous singer. 1 son - Amal. Name is Jamaludin but was shortened to Amal. It really does work.
 
This thing needs practice.
 
When I got a letter from a bank for a settlement, I met En Mazlan, and tried to mention his names several times during our conversation. The next time I visited the bank, I called his name again. When I perpetually refer to En Mazlan, rather than Encik, which I used to do before, he was smiling all over and helped me to settle my bank matters very fast. I think it gave him the power of feeling importance. I had complimented him indirectly, he was happy, and he helped me willingly. Win-win.
 
It is indeed the sweetest sound to a person.

No comments: