Thursday, June 11, 2009

Crikey Escape Down Under - Part 5 (Souvenir)

I have to admit that both Mr. X and I have committed major folly in buying of souvenirs in Melbourne. On the first day itself, right after brief stop for lunch at Flinder’s Street, we passed by a so-called Wholesale Souvenir shop next to Subway. The intention was to “look” only. Looked at them we did. The souvenir items were so colorful and varied that it seemed all were worth the purchase. Shirts were at AUD8.90 per piece for round neck, key chains koalas the cheapo ones were at AUD5 for 20, fridge magnet at AUD2.50 and many others priced at such affordable price, or so we thought. Because of the excitement and the worry that we might not have ample time to buy more souvenirs, I have contributed almost AUD30 to the Indonesian born lady owner.

Next idiocy was to pop round a souvenir store while waiting for the tour bus on the 3rd day. Again, it was only to “look”. That “look” costs another AUD100. This store sold embroided shirts, nice ones. 4 for AUD50. Thinking that I had not been away for quite some time from home, I owed my siblings and in-laws some stuff, the ones with quality. I wouldn’t dare buying them cheapo koala key chains, would I? While I was busy selecting the right shirts, Mr. X was ecstatic enough to choose koalas key chains (the one with better quality) for his office mates and friends. He got them 4 for AUD 10. He was so happy that nite.

As if couldn’t bear the gratification further, I collected a few gifts here and there while I was on tour. Some at the Koala Conservation Center and some at the Penguin Parade store. The one at the Nobbies was incredibly expensive. Mr.X only bought a fridge magnet there for our house.

We only realized it was such a folly until the last day, when we decided that by hook or by crook, we had to go to Victoria Market. Damn all those stores! The shirts were priced at AUD5 (made in China), cheapo koala key chains you can get them at AUD2.50 for 20, fridge magnets and small key chains were at 8 for AUD10. The same koala key chains with better quality which Mr. X bought while waiting for the tour bus was at 8 for AUD10. 50% cheaper!!! Extraordinarily bargain basement priced! He couldn’t help himself but to curse at all the previous shop owners. But then again, not all things can be found there. My embroided shorts were no where to be found there.

Oklah kan…dah beli dah…lesson learnt. Victoria Market is HEAVEN for shopping in Melbourne. Majority of the sellers are Asians who have migrated there and the workers can be foreign students as well. Some sellers can even speak Malay. So, it’s such a great place to shop but be prepared to dig into your pocket further. Every thing seems nice and a must have. I almost bought a kangaroo and a koala medium size huggable, until I managed to curb my insanity to finish off all the AUD left (dah tinggal sikit pon…). Cash only here, no credit card. Nasib baik.

Before flying home, the airport is also a devil’s place for shoppers. There is a store called Purely Australian, in which all the items sold are made in Australia. Since many things are made in China, this store creates that edge for those shoppers who’d be willing to pay slightly higher price to get their dream things. I got a purse made of Kangaroo skin. This one is not sold in Victoria Market. Among other things, :P.

In short, Melbourne is a shopping heaven. Considering that I had skipped visiting factory outlets, the amount spent there can be considered incredibly high to my standard. There goes all my AJIT program. Ampun Pak Aziz!


4 comments:

hurul said...

good info lin.. will keep it in mind.. hee.. itu pun kalau kesampaian..

Noraidalin Buang said...

Yes, please bear that in mind. Pegilah, plan your trip with kids.

Aai Aida said...

How much did Pak Aziz allocate for yr Melbourne Shopping Spree he he?

The next time you go for vacation, check out for the city status coz there is no place for cheap souvenirs in expensive city like Melbourne.... so that U can plan what to buy and how much to spend for souvenirs.

When I was in Japan, I could only afford to buy souvenirs at Y100 shop, and in San Francisco - only a half cup!not even one...:p

Noraidalin Buang said...

OK, I'll bear that in mind, cikgu...