Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Expression : English vs. Malay

Why is it easier to express yourself in English compared to writing/speaking in Malay? Especially when angry or when in love (love lagik, sorry guys, this is the easiest example), I've found that it is much much more easy to express myself in English. In discussions with my significant other, I've discovered that he also finds it more convenient to express his thoughts in English.

Imagine, saying "I miss you". It's so much easier compared to saying "Saya rindukan awak". Or saying something like "I think we better start to see other people", against "Saya pikir kita patut berdating dgn org lain".

Once I tried to change the rule of the game. I wrote a very significant life changing letter in Malay and voila...it sounds so highly "literature" type of letter and I think it is suitable for publication in a Malay novel. No doubt I got the points accrossed, and the other party responded, but I think it is better that for next time, I better write in English.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hye kak lin!
hehhee...i'm a lil bit anxious to share with you my url because i'm blogging in 90% malay!!!
Maybe i should start to put in one or two entry in English....( actually i did have some..but i guess all written in broken english!)
when i talked abour the 'other' dream... i meant to say 'malay writer' becuase i wrote many short stories for competition in high-shcool..


hehehhee..nice blog anyway~~~~

(malu..malu....i'm just a gibberish crimminal..theheehehehe)