Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Team Bonding aka Team Building - who needs it?







The specially-created-for-united-purpose-worn-on-Day-1 t-shirt for all tired-of-work-need-some-motivation-cum-party-time participants.

I had the chance to attend a team building program organized by yuppies in Marketing & Sales Department (this is where I recall the constant tickle-to-my-bone jokes created for Marketing goons by the-always-brilliant engineers in Dilbert). To some extent, yup, they do apply to these homo sapiens whom I had the chance to team bond with. Should it be a pity or lucky me?

Once in a while, working adults (WA) need a booster for their morale, spirit and motivation to stay fit in the working environment. It has been quite a long time that the WA in my organization had the chance to attend such fun-and-loving program. So when the tough gets going, the WA suddenly found themselves in deeper and deeper piles of routines and s***. Until one day, some smart Alec suggested to the management that the staff are in dire need for some morale booster. Apparently the staff's energy and motivation are negatively correlated with the oil price hike and the organization's ever increasing demand for more contribution. Then the prophecy was broadcasted - all departments in the organization are required to conduct a team building program.
Besides dwindling energy, morale, spirit and motivation, WA also need to better understand each other's background and culture. We had WA in this organization who hail from Phillipines, Indonesia, Portugal and of course, Malaysians from multiple states. I have to congratulate the yuppies organizers who were able to spread the team members equally, and thanks to them I got to know Jojoe, Jess, Zulsham, Jamal, Naidu, etc, etc much better. On top of that, I got to see the hidden talents of colleagues whom I've never expected - like being a champion in the Limbo Rock contest, speed thinker who made us the champion for the "carry a person on a spider web made of a role of string" (I was the person to be carried since I was the lightest - at the time of posting, my weight was 49 kg, a record indeed after married life) and being able to spot tattooes of people who were hidden all these while.
Therefore folks, I have to concur that team bonding is necessary every once in a while, especially if the organization pays for it. Well, the business is getting bigger and we are expected to perform better with the same resource. I guess the more stretch targets put on us, the more we shall demand for "fun" things to be granted or at least subsidized. It is for the good of the organization as well. Sometimes money is not the only answer. Team bonding may be the solution for that time where WA lose interest in their routine and s***.

No comments: