Thursday, December 17, 2009

Kekasih Awal dan Akhir

Wah, after I've got to know that we can have blog entry via email, my mind has been spinning on and on and on. There are just so many things I like to put on record. Akmal already commented that my blog entries are too many. Dude, I just had to let it out OK.
 
Last 2 weeks, I was invited for a Long Service Award dinner, held at Puteri Pacific Hotel. This was to commemorate the anniversary and present award to those who have served the company for a very long time - 20 years, 25 years and 30 years. This year is special since we have 1 staff who had been working for my company for a whopping 35 years. He started off as an Office Boy in 1973, worked his way through the company and now is serving as a Purchaser in Procurement Department. 35 years - he said he stayed because the company is his family. Love your company as much as you love your family. I wonder if such mindset ever come across any of the Gen-Y today.
 
I thought I was invited since my boss was one of the award recipients. He had served for 25 years and will retire soon according to schedule laaa. At the dinner table, I was seated together with invited guests like me - Puan K and Mr. S from T&C Department - besides the award recipients and their spouse . These 2 people sort of became my accomplice throughout the nite - scanning, commenting, gossipping, etc.
 
The deejay was that funny skinny guy who appeared on some of RTM 1 programs, looked like Mamak a bit. I heard we paid him around RM5k for that 1.5 hours stint. I had no idea who else or what other interesting details were to happen on that night. The moment he announced that the artist for the night was very special, I thought that it would be "just another artist", like previously they had Noraniza Idris, Mas Idayu and the likes (suam suam kuku type laaaa). Since the award is meant for old timers, we can't possibly have any of the AF or Mentor artists, can we? The moment came when he announced "Tuan-tuan dan puan-puan, penyanyi ini sesiapa yang mendengar suaranya, yang tidur pasti terjaga, yang terjaga pasti terbangun....saya persembahkan.....JAMAL ABDILLAH". I seriously thought that he was joking. I was expecting that some joker somewhere would impersonate Jamal, just as all those jokers who like to copycat Michael Jackson.
 
I have known Jamal since I was young. Come on, he was the Bintang RTM winner in 1978? 79? I knew his songs since my childhood days, teenage days, college days and until now, even though he has his fair share of ups and downs, he is one of those evergreen artists. That's to my standard laaa. I equate him to the likes of Syarifah Aini, nobody else can beat that kind of voice. His golden voice and evergreen songs, no singer in Malaysia can beat that. Mawi? Not even tip of the iceberg.
 
Suddenly, there he was. Jamal Abdillah, singing the hip song - Yaaa Rabbbbbi - man...Puan K was so excited. Mrs Lee at the other side of the table also did not blink her eyes a bit. Cameramen and people with handphones all were busy flashing their camera at him. Even the chef left behind the pots and pans and woks and came out from the kitchen to listen first hand and have eye-to-eye experience appreciating his voice, dance when it's the fast beat songs and dream when it's the melancholic tunes.
 
That night Jamal sang a few songs - Azura, Penghujung Rindu, Aku Penghibur, and his very final song - Kekasih Awal dan Akhir. He would sing non-stop, not even once interaction with the audience. Actually the impatient audience was expecting some kind of verbal interaction with him, but he just continued on. Exactly like listening to the radio, until one time, Puan K and I bet that he was just miming. We were wrong when he sang Azura, we found out that he couldn't reach that highest note. Then it was obvious. It was Jamal's actual voice. Wow...what a truly golden voice, truly an anugerah for him.
 
Since he was singing all the time, we realized that there's no way we could take picture with him. Sometimes he would scheme through table by table, that's when the audience took the chance to quickly snap pictures with him. Very difficult. Realizing that time was running short, we didn't expect him to come to our table, which was among the last table at the back. He gave a chance to a few people to sing some of the songs, while people rushing to take pix at the same time. Imagine the little bit of chaos there. Until he reached a table next to ours, Puan K was so damn excited and told me "Jom lah, jomlah, kita amik gambo dgn dia", while taking and rubbing my hands. Man, to calm her down, I volnteered to accompany her to raise from our table and practically chased Jamal Abdillah. First he was  at the table at the end, then he wanted to move to the other end. Our table was in the middle, he could not see me coming from behind. I needed to chase him, he passed by because he could not see us. Knowing that the window was short and the moment was right, I just grabbed his elbow and stopped him from moving. I just had to do it. It appeared as if I forced him to stop and take pix with us. Macam ganas la pulak makcik ni. Finally, Jamal Abdillah was in my arms. Hahaha....
 
To seal the night of remembrance, I got myself a CD of Jamal, Raja Pop, murah - RM19.90 jer, got 16 songs.
 
Last week, I got a call from CCD people - "Wah,wah,wah - cayalah, salute sama akak sebab grab Jamal...hebat gitu..." Apparently they reviewed the video for that night, and had all the moments captured. I would really like to see it.
 
This is Jamal, King of Pop for Malaysia. This is like Michael Jackson for the Americans. I know, his personality maybe not up to standard, but his talent is truly amazing. It's once in a lifetime chance to have a moment with him, no matter how short. I think it's worth it, RM30k for 5 songs.
 
I'm not sure if HR would invite me again for next year award.

No comments: