Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Oh My Gosh, It's December Already!

Again, I’ve got so many stories to share, but so little time available to pen them down.

Housing Re-finance – Yang Mana Satu, Pilihan Kalbu?

Remember that Aziz had asked us to re-finance both of our houses? Since the other house is just about to get the key, we went first for the current house. We visited all 5 banks as recommended by Aziz. This is when I learnt to shop around for banking products. I’ve always hated to do shopping of this kind, since it’s quite complex and tricky. But in this case, I’ve no choice, it has to be done. Well, at least it is part of lessons in life. I did some research on the net – mainly from Bank Negara, all the commercial banks and a few tips here and there on housing loan. It’s amazing when your house can be considered as collateral for other bigger projects. What exactly is the project can only be known when we see Aziz in the next appointment. Aziz specifically mentioned to research these 5 banks and their products, but with same qualification – must be in 1 account number. Here goes my tales from visiting 5 banks.
1. Ambank – Homelink - rates quite good, but account number cannot be one number for both housing loan and the current account. When asked, standard answer – IT system, housing loan must be different code in IT system than current account. What the customer wishes is secondary, my IT system rocks.
2. Public Bank – rates not competitive at all. On top of that, also needs 2 account numbers. Same disqualification applies.
3. CIMB – rates are competitive, close contender to HSBC. My second option. I think since the new CEO took over, that brother of that somebody, I was told that he emulated HSBC's model. So far I'd say the products are quite similar, only the customer service has got to be improved. Products quality is quite there already, people's attitude nonetheless is very far.
4. EON Bank – imagine this – we went to the bank, was told that the Loan Officer was attending a course in JB. The other Loan Officer on duty was not familiar with the housing loan product, so not able to provide good advice. She asked us to come again on other days. Forget it. Camne lah korang ni nak jadik world class banks…aiyooo…
5. HSBC – the best so far. Actually I visited this bank first, told the Officer of my intention, and purposely told her that I’d like to shop around first. She willingly allowed me to do that. I guess more or less, they already know that they can offer the best rate.

After much deliberation, we agreed to go for HSBC Home Smart. The link to current account makes it that we can settle our loan faster and we can use the available funds for other meaningful uses. That’s the flexibility. Maybe for some people this is old product, but for us, the fact that the housing loan can also serve as collateral for other ventures is new. That’s how naïve we were, hence now can consider that we have improved. One house down, another house to go.

Tupperware Ventures – A Climb Up the Mountain

My oh my…I couldn’t believe myself, that I got too caught up in this business. Somehow it gets me going everyday, how to further enhance and strengthen my footing in this business. Past lessons and memories from defunct Omegatrend venture kept on rewinding and playing on my mind. Actually after I quit from Omegatrend, sometimes it haunted me why I didn’t do certain things while I was still inside the business. The kind of thoughts that you know, if I were to do certain things, the results might have been different. To avoid from that feelings to haunt me in future, I make sure I’ll do things in this Tupperware business, so that later on I won’t regret – insya Allah. At least I’ve tried. If it works, it is meant to be. If it’s not working, perhaps I should diversify my tactics. Trying is the most challenging. To get ourselves to try and do things need major guts. The fear that I will fail, will always be there. Now I have to tell myself, think of the success, not the failure. It’s the same energy, channel it right.

Yesterday I tried a new tactic. I gave away old catalogs to a few targeted houses, with a leaflet bearing our names. I chose the houses with advanced renovations features, or basically home owners who do not mind spending some money to make their houses stand out in the row. While putting it in the mailbox, at 1 house, a few people was sitting and talking at the front door. So I gave my salam, in the hope that the owner would come out to greet me. The previous house owner was like that. She chatted with me for a good 10 minutes. It’s like getting to know-thy-neighbor kind of activity. Surprisingly, this Mercedes-clad house was awful. One voice shouted – “Tak nak dik”. I was smiling. I just said “I letak dalam mailbox ye”. Wow, imagine my feeling. I was smiling all the way home. Well, at least I know how the feeling is when people shoo away those sales agents at the front gate. How many times I’ve done that to them, now I know how they feel laaaa… quite humiliating self-depreciating experience actually. But it’s not that bad. I take it that it’s part and parcel of building a business. This is how Sosilawaty and Azlina Che Daud started their business too. They sold their cosmetics from house to house. Look at them now, the new moguls in the cosmetic industries, to the envy of many. They are really my idols. Many successful people do not just be at the top, they work from the bottom. Not many people are as lucky as Paris Hilton, or SM Nasamuddin, or Ivanka Trump. I prefer to read success stories from people who work their bottom up. The climbing must be their most exciting and exhilarating experience of their life. Their sharing on life at the top must be an iceberg only. The crux will always be on how exciting their journey to reach the peak.

It’s a long way to go for this business. I’m building it slowly. I’ve yet to find the right partner though. I need to find out what exactly is the barrier. Jes told me the next incentive trip is to Switzerland. Man, I cannot resist the temptation. Keep the spirit going, baby.

This song has definitely kept me going:

The Climb

I can almost see it
That dream I'm dreaming but
There's a voice inside my head sayin,
You'll never reach it,
Every step I'm taking,
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking but
I Got to keep trying
Got to keep my head held high
There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb
The struggles I'm facing,
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes they knock me down but
No I'm not breaking
I may not know it
But these are the moments that
I'm going to remember most yeah
Just got to keep going
And I,I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on, cause
There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb
Keep the faith
Keep your faith
Whoa a oh oh

Life Partner - All My Life, I Pray for Someone Like You

I read the Utusan’s interview with TNB President/Chief Executive Officer, Dato’ Sri Che Khalib Mohamad Noh published on Sunday. Among other things, he said that his life is below ordinary, and that he had to work hard to be where he is today. That TNB’s electricity emergency response plan can never be compared with Singapore, in terms of response time in times of failure. That the stupid song condemning TNB reflects the stupidity of the blog/song writer, so he need not respond to such brainless provocation. But one thing stood out - he said that his wife has been his strong supporter all his life. He more or less accolades his wife to his success in life. Awww….this is the second time I read an interview with senior level executives who acknowledge their wife’s contribution to his success in career and life. The other one was from Idris Jala. Hey, it works both ways. Dato’ Azlina from that D Navechee empire also gave recognition to her husband for supporting her and together build the business to where it is today.

As a child, we used to praise our parents and teachers for our success. As an adult, who deserve to receive such acknowledgement for our success – besides our life partner? Sometimes when you hear actors/actresses uttered their winning speech at the Academy Award or Music Award, they’d say their tribute to their directors, fellow actors, songwriters, mentors, and usually, only at the end, they’d say their tribute to their family members or spouse. Moral of the story – just as what our Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. said – “The best muslim among you is those who are kindest to their family members”.

Love your partner, they love you back and give you heaven. Hurt your partner, they remember it all their life, may or may not forgive you, and definitely your life will be in living hell, sooner or later.

So, watch out what you do. Your partner can truly sense, even though they may not say it.

For rich and for poor, till death do us part. This cliche may not be true in the case of harta sepencarian. Well, I just learnt it from Public Mutual Wasiat course yesterday. In the case of harta sepencarian, either one can claim up to maximum of 50% only. If I like you, I can write in my wasiat to give you all, subject to agreement by other heirs. On the flip side, if I don't like you, I may write 0%, that means you can only have my portion after you fight your case in court. Other than that, rest with the faraid law, you will only get 1/4 of my estate, since we have children.

Learning about wasiat is such an interesting topic. Above all, write one today, as it is sunat muakkad - sunat yang sangat dituntut. If feeling lost, I am a certified agent to help you. I won't draft for you, the lawyer will. I will only facilitate, at such a peanut fee. Man, this one an entry on its own.

Till next time.

No comments: