Friday, May 1, 2009

The Very Meaning of Last Minute

I just helped Mr. X to send in his tax filing for the year. Apparently he's been working on it while I was showering and taking my very own sweet time to calm myself before turning in to bed. When I touched the laptop, the time shown on the laptop was 11.55 pm. Oh my gosh...to send or not to send...that's the biggest question..

I was surprised, even though the Celcom's blue cube kept on alternating between blue (fast) and green (slow) color, he managed to turn it in, on time. LHDN time recorded it as sent at 11.54pm, but the laptop's clock clearly marked it was already 12.04am, 1st May 2009.

Perhaps the people at LHDN adjusted their clock to match the very mediocrity of Malaysian tax payers as the usual suspects - last minuters.

Why when it was at the very last minute, ideas seemed to flow, figures seemed to be correct, paragraphs seemed to look OK, but not a few days earlier? In the case of Mr. X's tax filing, he forgot the password. To get the password, you need to call the LHDN office. That's a major killer. He got that pasword a few days ago allright, but why only tonite managed to turn it in? Hmm, again, a case of don't worry, it'll be allright. This is Malaysia, the Boleh-land (as according to my Kiwi Drama Queen).

Well, look at it this way. We pay tax. Shut up.

No comments: