Monday, July 28, 2008

That Last Gift

I cleared up my office drawer and found a receipt of Loket Emas 916, dated October 2007 from Poh Kong Jewellers. My mind could straight away wandered to what had happened on that day when I got that pendant. Pretty much too confidential to pen down. Let the event dies with me.

The point is, it's not how much a gift costs that matters, it's the thought behind that could last a lifetime. The cliche "it's not the gift, it's the thought that counts" still holds true. We can easily remember an event if we have something to associate it with. For instance, this was propogated by the famous guru in his book "How to win friends and influence people". If you want to easily remember a name of a stranger, try to associate the name with something.

The pendant, is the last gift at this moment. The last meaningful gift ever. Any gift after this will definitely carry a different meaning. Maybe meaningless. A turn of event could not reverse what has happened. People say that you can forgive, but you can never forget. The cut will healed, but the scar will remain forever.

Is it true that a woman's heart is like the rice bottom (kerak nasi), that it will melt someday after constant re-assurance and pressure? Maybe it's true for older generation women, but in my case, if I give in, it means that I do that after careful considerations of all alternatives and putting myself at the very last of the hierarchy of importance. That I would be the pittance of all parties involved. Sad isn't it? After all the sacrifices, what do we get in return?

Normally, people who give can remember better than people who receive. That's why the hands on top is 1000 times better than the hands at the bottom. So what have you given to your loved ones today?

4 comments:

akmalhizam said...

this morning before going to work:
i gave my wife a hug and a kiss.
for my two kids, i tidied their blankets and ironed their school uniforms.
i went to the shop to buy for my mom-in-law her newspaper (okay, she asked for it, not really from my own thoughts). should have given a hug to her too (well at least i had that thought, but not the execution).
for myself, i don't know - perhaps giving and doing all those above bring about satisfaction.
oh yes, i read a few pages of azizi ali's book.

on the subject of gold and pendant, i was thinking about my SOAR gold plated lapel pin while taking shower.
ehm ehm... when can i get mine?

Noraidalin Buang said...

My dear Akmal,
You better not publish all your lovey dovey kindness in my blog. Kang ada orang masuk meminang baru tahu.
As for the pin - let me do another housekeeping in my office closet. Ahah...

Hayati Kehidupan said...

Lin...

Lets give and forget... Baru ada "ikhlas" Ada pernah dengar unconditional love. Cinta tanpa perlu ada pembalasan...
Senang cakap susah practice beb....

Anonymous said...

Unconditional love yati? Mana ada pada kita yang 'normal'. My daughter aje yang give that.

Kalau i tak dapat any rewards, I give myself a reward. Boleh macam tu? :-) Makes me happy.