Friday, November 7, 2008

Bukan???

Yesterday afternoon, I had a full stomach for lunch of Nasi Ayam Goreng Kicap, from a famous stall in PG. Unfortunately, I had to attend a meeting with 2 Koreans plus other managers right after that lunch. With full tummy, very convenient chair, air cond room and sweet monotonous voice of the Chief Korean, the tendency to fall for afternoon siesta was uncontrollable.

I was trying to focus several times and pay attention as best as I could, but the gravitational factor was very forceful on my eyelids. Alas, it's time the GM said "Anybody has any questions?". Since I initiated the meeting, I felt compelled to ask questions. Just any question.

So I asked him a question. But he misunderstood my question. By then, I was still dizzy. Then, out of nowhere I uttered "Bukan!". Surprisingly, he echoed my word "Bukan???". The others who were paying attention by then, really laughed out loud to this drama. The sound of others laughing made me realized - Oh My God!!!. I had uttered a Malay word to a Korean in a big meeting. Shame on me.

But I was expected to remain calm and trained to be professional at work. To cover up this unwanted drama to persist, I said "Well, at least you get to learn one Malay word for today. It means That's Not What I Meant". And so he smiled. End of drama.

What has gotten into me? This is exactly what happens to people who seldom use English in daily life. The results of not thinking, speaking and using English for a very long time. What a nice plot to make me realize this inadequacy. Very lucky me.

Resolution for the Day - try as much as possible to apply English in daily conversations - be it with friends, colleagues, kids, hubby, etc - which will indirectly force me to think in English. We must think in English in order to speak better English.

2 comments:

MatSalim said...

I use English only when I'm very angry. That allow me to use a more subtle 'angry word' as compared to words available in Malay language.

Noraidalin Buang said...

Ahah! Very funny Mr Mat..really brilliant!