Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Alma Mater : Where Are Thou?

Kajang (Selangor)

  • Kajang (加影), with a population of 189,400 (as of 2001) is a town in the state of Selangor, Malaysia (2.98° N, 101.77° E). It is located about 20 km south of Malaysia's capital, Kuala Lumpur.
  • The first settlement in Kajang was established in 1709. In 1807, Kajang was founded after the Klang War.
  • Kajang is famous for its sate (alternate spelling satay), a form of skewered spiced barbequed meat. Informally, Kajang is known as the "Satay Town", and is famous among tourists and locals alike.
  • Kajang was the district capital of Hulu Langat but the District Office has moved to Bangi, which is now under the Kajang Municipal Council.
One of my alma maters is situated in the town of Kajang, Selangor. Last 2 weeks, on my way back from KL, we had a stopped at the famous satay outlet "Sate Hj Samuri" in the heart of Kajang town. Realizing that I have not stepped on this town for a very long time (16 years you, the last time I went there was to pick up my SPM result slip in 1992), I figured why not give my alma mater a sweet brief visit.

But whaddaya know?? Kajang has CHANGED A LOT!!! I could not find the road leading to my alma mater. What used to be 2-lane roads are now hustling bustling hiways all over the place! Where on earth is my old high school?? Tried the junction with SAAS school as the landmark, we drove in only to find out it was a brand new primary school for a new taman. Asked for direction from the school security, but still, it was no where near our sight.

Since it was already late for our journey home, I decided to put my friends at ease and told them that it's better that we head home. Meanwhile, I SMS a few of my ol' high school friends and told them of this misadventure of mine in Kajang town. What I got were all bunch of "kutukans".

Oh well, next time I'd better visit http://www.wikimapia.com/ or google earth to find this alma mater of mine.

Link - http://www.smapkajang.net/ and http://www.alumni-smapk.com/

No comments: