Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Giving Back

I read in the news last week that the Deputy Higher Education Minister suggested for our local universities grads to appreciate their alma mater by giving more support. I did not read the story in detail, but for all that matters, it takes two to tango.

If the universities wish to have more support, be it in terms of financial or social support, then they must plan the program well and have it promoted and advertised widely to the alumni. I am sure that a lot of local universities alumni would like to contribute but perhaps do not know how, or simply it will be an intricate task. People are running out of time these days. If we want to give, we want it to be in the most simplest way possible.

Take for instance what my alma mater does. Almost every year, I would receive this type of letters far afield from Bloomington, Indiana, USA, asking for contribution. See how simple they have made it. Just by credit card, anywhere in the world.



To keep in touch with all alumni, sometimes I'd receive the ballot paper for polls to select the new Alumni President and committee or newsletters of what have been happening in that year at the university e.g. once someone from my college was awarded the Nobel prize. This has forced me indirectly to be in touch with the university.

I hope our universities can emulate this kind of "human touch" so that the alumni can feel more connected with their alma mater. Perhaps I should take a post grad class from a local u and compare the practice myself.

No comments: