Monday, February 2, 2009

Devil's Advocacy

What you should do if you are stuck in a meeting with people who have seniority over you but do not know where they are heading to? How best to interfere and being the devil's advocate while at the same time try to remain calm and diplomatic (not to be seen as "kureng ajaran"?).

Sometimes I think that I may be a bit too rough in advocating ideas, especially while going the opposite way (trying to "rock the boat" in other corporate term). Frankly, being put in a position while majority of the people at that stage are above my age, has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. But most miserable is when all of the meeting attendees who are supposed to have eaten more salts than me and of higher ranking reach a consensus while they themselves are not clear of what is it that they have agreed on. Sometimes I can be seen as being an aggressive person trying to prove a point (while others try to go with the flow and shut up and leave the fate to God Almighty to decide).

I have a trait of which can be both good and bad. When I do something, I will do it seriously. This is in tandem with a hadith which propogates that a good Muslim is when he/she does something, he/she will do it wholeheartedly to produce the best results. For this, I will have to make sure that the things I pursue will worth something. If it happens that the something is something which is not clear to the originator, I could not stand to be in the committee to support such cause. It is a torture for me to be in something which I cannot see what's the end result is. Especially when I can't control the outcome. I wonder how people can get accustomed to be part of something which has no clear direction, and just be there for the sake of being there.

I am just not one of them. Maybe I should opt out of this "initiative". If you can't beat them, join them - simply doesn't work for me.

No comments: